DiNKy Awards Mission
DiNK’s annual DiNKy Awards commit to recognize excellence, promote independent comics from a diversified group, and create a level playing field in which work is judged for its merits, not the strength of its marketing campaign. We understand the challenges of connecting great work to intended audience. Our goal is to assist in that process. Submissions are evaluated by an impartial panel of judges. Nominees are promote to DiNK attendees and followers to create a sense of encouragement and community among all independent cartoonists & artists.
- DiNK requires that you complete an online submission form at dinkdenver.com. A Submission form is required for each piece of work that you are submitting.
- DiNKy Award 2018 Submission forms MUST be submitted NO LATER than 11:59pm on February 19th, 2018 and MUST INCLUDE two digital images: the front cover and an arresting page from the work.
- Two non-returnable copies of work must be submitted and postmarked no later than February 12th, 2018.
- If you are applying for an award that does not fit the guidelines for eligibility, DiNK reserves the right to change award categories.
DiNKy Award Submission Criteria
- Work must be published between December 1st, 2016 to December 31st, 2017.
- Work must meet criteria as indicated by category definition.
- Applicants/works do not have to be present at the DINK show to be considered but are encouraged.
- Those employed by DiNK are ineligible for submission.
DiNKY AWARDS 2018 Descriptions
Outstanding Colorado Award
Award given for outstanding work that was created by a Colorado resident. Over a 12-month residence is required.
Outstanding Diversity Award
Award given to a creator/artist of outstanding work that demonstrates a significant contribution from a diverse community or culture. Definition of ‘Diversity’: Diversity is rich and complex; it includes but is not limited to ethnicity, race, age, class, sexual orientation, religion, language, disability, health status, political viewpoint, veteran status, and gender identity/expression.
Best Work: Self-Published
Award given to a creator for an outstanding work published independently of a publisher.
Definition of ‘Self Published’: A creator without a publisher (who does not own a publishing, printing or distribution company), using their own funds to publish and print. Funds gathered from crowdfunding sites such as kickstarter, patreon, etc. are eligible.
Best Work: Published by a Small Press
Award given to a creator for an outstanding work published by a small press printer.
Definition of ‘Small Press’: A publisher who prints creator-owned work in quantities of 1500 or less, printing 9 titles or less per year. Work may not be considered for Self published or Mid/Large Press award.
Best Work: Mid/ Large Press
Award given to a creator for an outstanding work published by a mid/large press.
Definition of ‘Mid/Large Press’: A publisher who prints work in quantities of at least 2000, printing 10 or more titles per year. Work may not be considered for Self published or Small Press award.
Outstanding Mini Comic
Award given to a creator for an outstanding work that is DIY with 48 pages or fewer.
Definition of ‘Mini Comic’: Self published work with 48 or fewer pages, DIY, staple bound or hand stitched. Work printed in a small format no larger than 8.5 x 5.5 or smaller. Judges may choose to transfer submission to ‘Best Zine’ category, if applicable.
Outstanding Single Issue / Floppy Comic
Award given for to a creator for an outstanding work that is at least 20 pages and not more than 48.
Definition of ‘Single Issue/ Floppy Comic’:This refers to any comic that uses a saddle stitch (staple bound). It must have at least 20 pages and no more than 48 pages. It can be a complete story or part of a series. Works that qualify as a mini-comic or zine will not be considered for this category.
Award given to a creator for an outstanding zine.
Definition of ‘Zine’: Self published work in small circulation. Work consists of original or appropriated texts/prose and images consisting of more than one story and/or several contributors.
Outstanding Online Web Comic
Award given to creator for outstanding work that is an ongoing web comic.
Definition of ‘Online Web Comic’: A serialized, ongoing comic that appears online. Work should have been first published on the world wide web.
Outstanding Comic Anthology/Collection
Award given to publisher/editor for outstanding work that is a comics anthology/collection.
Definition of ‘Anthology’: An anthology is a collection of more than one person’s art around a common theme or viewpoint with a single editor or editing team.
Definition of ‘Collection’: A Collection is a compilation of previously printed, shorter works by one or more creators, assembled in a printed package.
Best In Show
Award given to winner as determined by Popular Vote by DiNK Attendees. Includes any NEW work for sale at the DINK Convention for at least one full convention day. Must be in print and available for purchase at the show April 14th, 2018.
Work must be submitted no later than April 14th, 2018 to be considered.
In special cases where work might be printed week of show, digital copies will be
accepted for consideration.
Each exhibitor can submit no more than one piece of new work.
Award is open to all sizes, formats and genres; zines, minis, floppies, graphic novels, sequential art etc.
How to Submit for a DiNKy Award
- Complete a DiNKy Award 2018 Submission online through this form: THIS FORM HERE!
- Send 2 non-returnable copies of work to be considered to the following address:
- DiNky Awards
Attn: Ted Intorcio
2251 S. Downing Street
Denver CO 80210
- DiNky Awards
- If you are submitting a work for more than 2 categories, you will need to provide one (1) additional copy per category. For example, if you are submitting for the Colorado Award, Best Self Published and would also like to be considered for the Diversity Award, you must submit three copies of your work.
- All awards are judged by a panel of peers. Judges will remain anonymous.
- The scoring system used includes a combination of scores in the areas of overall enjoyment, originality, quality, storytelling, design and complete package.
- Winners will be selected by secret ballot among those identified as nominees. In the event of a tie, the judges collectively will meet and choose the winner.
- Best In Show will be selected by popular vote to be taken and tallied at the first day of the 2017 DiNK show.